Initially content marketing was mainly used in Business-to-Consumer (B2C) companies. However, the scope of content marketing has become so vast that Business-to-business or B2B companies are also jumping onto the content marketing bandwagon.
With the rise of digital marketing, there is no doubt that the competition is also increasing tremendously. The demand to create quality content that generates most organic search traffic and social shares has grown. An effective content marketing strategy has become more important now than ever, especially for B2B companies. Creating and delivering content that attracts and retains customers needs a strategic framework. To put it in simple words, business to business marketing of content is an art of developing and distributing valuable content and relevant in order to attract companies and wholesale buyers. Read the following effective B2B content marketing strategies that will help you crush your competition.
Set Your Objectives
Few questions such as the purpose of your content marketing, creating brand loyalty, how to attract new business ideas need to be answered before you begin formulating a strategy. Typically the main objectives of your content marketing plan should involve goals such as building an audience, generating profits, lowering costs and retaining customers. You should also consider planning other objectives such as the frequency of uploading blogs, social media channels you plan to use etc. Once you prepare and finalize your objectives, you should spend some time creating and documenting your strategy.
Define Your Audience
The main aim here is to build a lasting relationship with your audience through your content. In order to do so it is important to identify and understand the requirements of your audience. The secret to creating great content, is to change your perspective and think from the point of view of your target audience. In today’s digital world, there are various tools available for identifying and understanding the behaviour of your audience. Meanwhile, you need to also remember that while creating content that connects with your audience it is important to avoid extreme targeting. Extreme targeting has a big risk of abandoning large groups of potential customers (Escobedo, 2017). An effective marketing strategy involves considering all of these points while defining and creating content for your audience.
Focus on the quality of your content
For your target audience to view, like and share your content, it is important to make it engaging, relevant and valuable. In order to improve the quality of your content, ensure that you follow the below mentioned tips:
- Ensure that your content is keyword-rich from the beginning itself. You should make use of Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) in order to boost your SEO strategy.
- While integrating keywords in your content it is also important to ensure that your content does not look like it is stuffed with keywords. Hence, it is important to avoid overusing keywords in your blog.
- Along with these methods for ranking higher it is also important to create content that is visually appealing, add some value and is relevant to the audience.
- Make use of infographics, images, videos and GIFs for making your blogs more visually appealing.
- It is important to be creative, original and engaging with your content.
- Along with all of this consider adding other elements to your blog such as a weekly newsletter, adding call to action, latest news and trends, polls etc. for engaging your audience.
Choose your platforms for content distribution
The rise of digital marketing has led to content distribution becoming a very vital part of your B2B marketing strategy. In order to make your online presence felt, it is important to effectively distribute your content across various platforms. Content can be distributed across following three main channels:
- Owned channels
Owned channels are directly under your control since they belong to you. They include various platforms such as website, blog, email etc. These are the channels that you probably use frequently for promoting your content.
- Earned media
Earned media involves sharing your content or regulating HOW its shared (Baum, 2017). It involves making use of social media, guest blog articles, online communities, and other forms for promoting your content.
- Paid distribution for effective marketing
Paid distribution is basically any channel that you pay for the purpose of content marketing. It includes pay-per-click ads, print ads, social media ads, etc (Baum, 2017).
Share real-life examples and case studies
With so much “fake news” circulating on the internet, people have become more wary about what and whom they trust. In order to gain the trust of your readers, it is important to back your content with real-life examples, screenshots, case studies etc.(Escobedo, 2017). Adding these elements can help your readers to trust your content in order to build a lasting relation with you. Along with this, do not forget to source your article or blog really well, especially if there are any statistics, updates, latest news, facts etc.
Analyze and Optimize Your B2B Content Marketing Strategy
Various companies that have achieved success in content marketing would agree that the most effective strategy is to regularly track the content marketing progress and ROI. This includes measuring and analyzing results of the strategy in order to identify what is and isn’t working for your business. Conducting this analysis will also help you discover your areas of improvement and modify your strategy to the optimum level. Businesses could also consider making use of various tools Google Analytics, Buffer etc that can help track your published content.
The thing about effective B2B content marketing is that a strategy that may work for one business may not necessarily work for yours. Hence, it is important to create a unique strategy with the help of the above mentioned tips, that fits your business perfectly and drives your sales. It is important for you to experiment, analyze and implement the strategy that works best for you and helps you crush your competition successfully!
Keep reading iTMunch for more marketing blogs and latest updates.
1. Escobedo, J (2017) “10 Insights From The Best B2B Content Marketing Strategies In 2017” Forbes [online] available from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joeescobedo/2017/11/29/10-insights-from-the-best-b2b-content-marketing-strategies-in-2017/2/#786ec7d4ca76 [accessed February 2018]
2. Baum, D (2017) “” impactBND [online] available from: https://www.impactbnd.com/blog/content-distribution-tools-channels [accessed February 2018]