What Is It?
Selenium is an open source automation testing tool that can easily automate web application. It is also capable of automating our functional testing tasks. Selenium is a set of software tools which offers different levels of support for test automation. Selenium includes tools like WebDriver, Selenium Remote Control, Selenium IDE, and Selenium-Grid. As per the project requirement, one or two tools can just prove to be enough.
Why Is It Useful?
The reason for the popularity of Selenium can mainly be attributed to the flexibility and perfection achieved through the tools it offers. It is compatible with a wide variety of browsers and offers great flexibility to write text scripts as well. Furthermore, Selenium provides robust support to a variety of programming languages, including C#, Java, Python and Ruby. Even just a basic knowledge of any of this language is enough to work with Selenium. Here below we would have a look at the key benefits of the tool.
- First of all, Selenium is highly cost-effective just because it is an open source tool with pro-grade features
- Selenium can be configured easily
- Selenium has the capability to operate on almost every Operating System
- Selenium supports a range of browsers like Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and IE
- Selenium supports multiple languagessuch as Python, Java, Ruby, PHP and .Net
- One main feature of Selenium is that the language used for building the program is independent of the language that the web application is using. This implies that the test script can be developed in any of the languages that Selenium supports
- With the use of Selenium, it is possible to execute simultaneous tests leveraging various browsers on various machines. This is turn cuts down the time for test execution when a large project is in progress
- Selenium is highly flexible and scalable tool for different types and volumes of requirements
- Selenium has a very dynamic developer community that is backed by Google
- Selenium provides support for integration of open source framework like TestNG, JUnit, BDD-Cucumber
- With Selenium, you can just unleash the best testing output with minimum cost and learning curve
- In current trend of IoT, an end to end system integration testing (use cases based testing) is becoming very critical. To achieve 100% automation of such end to end testing can be achieved using Selenium because Selenium integrates very well with Java, Python, which takes care of all basic components of IoT solutions
- VOLANSYS has an in-house expertise of Appium – A native extension to Selenium WebDriver for mobile automation (iOS, Android). This makes us a stronger player in test automation segment
- Supports Parallel Execution
- Test Script Reviews
- Unicode Compliance
- Hierarchical View
- Move & Copy
- Parameterized Testing
Since Selenium is an open source automation testing tool, most of its features are available for free or at a low cost.